Step 1 - Create your logo
- The first step is to create your logo. You cannot copyright names, colours or familiar symbols, so your logo needs to be properly designed so that it can be copyrighted as artwork.
- Avoid any graphic images as these won’t be accepted.
Step 3 - Affix the copyright symbol
- To ensure your logo is copyrighted, you need to use the copyright symbol (©) within your logo or right next to it.
- You’ll also need to date your logo when it was created.
- Before registering, you’ll need to decide which trademark is best. A UK trademark will protect you in Britain only, whilst a community trademark will protect your logo in the EU.
- Only the creator of the logo can have the copyright, so you’ll also need to identify the best person to have the copyright in their name.
Step 5 – Register your work
- The easiest way to register your logo is to do it online with the Intellectual Property Office (IPO). You can do that here.
- As this is a legal agreement, it can be beneficial to seek advice from a specialised lawyer, especially if you are registering a community trademark.
- It will take approximately 4-5 months for a UK trademark, and 9-12 for a community trademark, to be obtained and for your logo to be protected as intellectual property.
Need Help with your Logo?Creating a logo from scratch can be tricky... but we have pulled together some useful resources to get you started.
Banana Moon Personalised Clothing
Unit 8, Springwell 27, Dark Lane, Birstall, West Yorkshire, WF17 9LN
01924 420 022
REG 6468058 VAT 516 1202 94