Bananas are great. No one’s debating that fact, but sometimes you just need a sticky, toffee sugar hit that this darn fine fruit just can’t provide. Luckily, cruelty-free beauty and lifestyle blogger Yasmina of The July Journal has that base covered (in sticky fingerprints, no doubt!)
So grab your aprons and hang on to your sweet tooth – we’re about to whip up a storm in the kitchen.
How to make Yasmina’s Banoffee Cupcakes:
Ingredients: (makes 10 – 12 cupcakes)
175g soft, ripe bananas
125g soft margarine
75g golden caster sugar
1 tbsp milk
2 medium eggs
225g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
75g soft fudge pieces
Dried banana pieces
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole baking tray with paper cupcake cases.
- Peel and mash the bananas in a large bowl before adding the margarine, sugar, milk and eggs.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat the mixture until smooth.
- Fold in 50g of the fudge pieces and evenly spoon the mixture between the cases.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and firm on top.
- Remove the tin from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Whip up a batch of vanilla butter icing or glaze icing and top off each cake. (At Banana Moon, we love butter icing because it’s easy! Just beat 140g of softened butter in a bowl with 140g of icing sugar until it’s smooth, then add another 140g of icing sugar and a tablespoon of milk before giving it a good mix again .)
- After adding your chosen icing to the cakes, top with the rest of the fudge pieces and some dried banana pieces.
- Nom! Oh, sorry – were we meant to save you one?
Thanks for the yummy recipe, Yasmina!