Next up in the Bake Book, it’s Jessica from the mouth-wateringly good blog What Jessica Baked Next. Now, if you’re looking for a sweet treat to make a big impression – these banana beauties are a must-bake. Jessica says they’re “sticky, buttery, moist and with a gorgeous banana flavour in each and every bite!” What’s more, they’re great to make when you have leftover over-ripe bananas in your fruit bowl.
How to make Jessica’s banana cupcakes with cream cheese frosting:
For the banana cupcake batter
120g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
200g (1 cup) granulated or caster sugar
2 free-range eggs, at room temperature
120g (1/2 cup) sour cream (Greek yogurt or buttermilk can be used instead)
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
180g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour (all-purpose flour)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For the cream cheese frosting:
60g (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
200g (1 3/4 cups) icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
400g (14 oz) cream cheese, softened
Fudge cubes or chopped nuts or chocolate chips, to decorate
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Put the softened butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream on a medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one, making sure each egg is incorporated before you add the next.
- Add the sour cream and mashed banana and mix again until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sifted flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to the mixer and mix on a medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Take an ice cream scoop and distribute the cupcake batter between the paper liners. Make sure you fill it two-thirds of the way up.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out completely clean of any uncooked batter.
- Once cooked through, remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the tins for ten minutes, then remove and leave to cool on a wire rack.
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer, and cream on medium speed for about 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla and – starting on a low speed – mix to combine.
- Continue to cream for five minutes or until really pale in colour – stop the mixer halfway through to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Once creamed, add the softened cream cheese. Turn the mixer up and beat on high speed for approximately 2-3 minutes or until the frosting is thick, smooth and creamy.
- Once ready, fit a piping bag with your favourite nozzle. Fill the bag with the frosting. Pipe onto each cupcake or simply spread two tablespoons of the frosting on each cupcake, if preferred.
- Finish with a banana slice, add some chocolate chips and enjoy!
Want to see more photos of these delicious cupcakes (and many more tasty bakes besides)? Visit Jessica’s blog, What Jessica Baked Next – we’ll see you there!