Lover of beauty, fashion and baking, lifestyle blogger Emsypickle has become the very first person to contribute a recipe to Mo the Banana Moon monkey’s brand new Bake Book! And with her choccy, nutty and (most importantly to Mo) banana-y treats, we can’t think of a better person to start us off on the road of baking bliss!
How to make Emsypickle’s quick and delicious banana, chocolate and walnut cupcakes:
For the Cakes:
100g salted butter
175g unrefined golden caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp baking powder
100g dark chocolate chips
100g chopped walnuts
For the Decoration:
100g salted butter
300g icing sugar
40g cocoa powder
White chocolate chips
Giant white chocolate buttons
Chocolate icing pens
- Grab two ripe bananas. (If they’re not ripe enough, stick them in the oven at 150C for 40 minutes until the skins are black, then leave to cool for about 30 minutes.)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (or turn it up if you used it to ripen the bananas) and line a cupcake tin with cases.
- In a big mixing bowl, add your butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, milk, chocolate, walnuts and bananas. Using an electric whisk, mix well until smooth and every ingredient is incorporated.
- Spoon your mixture into the cupcake cases and leave to settle for a few minutes before putting in the oven for 25 minutes – or until a skewer to the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and, after ten minutes cooling time, transfer them to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Use this time to make the chocolate butter icing. Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl and then add in the butter. Beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the milk and mix for another five minutes.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, spread a layer of chocolate icing over each one. Messiness is allowed – it’ll look more like monkey fur!
- Now to create the monkey faces! Using the chocolate icing pen, draw a blob on the back of a giant white chocolate button, then stick it to your cupcake. Use the pen to then draw two little nostrils and a smiley mouth on the front of the button. Repeat for each cake.
- Make eyes above the giant button by pressing two white chocolate chips gently into your cupcakes – flat side facing up. Use the icing pen to draw a small pupil on each eye. Next, just cut a giant button in half and place each half either side of the face to become ears.
Your cheeky monkey banana cupcakes are ready to eat – thanks Emsypickle!
Why not take a peek at Emsypickle’s blog to see her working a pretty darn cool Banana Moon apron?
There will be more scrumptious banana-based recipes to come, so be sure to swing on by regularly!
*All images are the property of Emsypickle unless otherwise stated.